Wednesday, September 03, 2008

How to boot Windows XP from USB flash drive

This stuff is not exactly new, but nevertheless quite useful, as it appears that there are lots of contradictory and quite complex guides on the subject.

The truth is that it is quite simple to make bootable WinXP USB drive (at least it worked like a charm for me and it would be interesting to learn about other people's experiences on different hardware).

Prerequisite:


Instructions:

  • Download and install BartPE bulder and PeToUSB
  • Run BartPE, follow the instructions to create Windows PE installation
  • Run PeToUSB, follow the instructions to format the USB drive and copy Windows PE files


That's it!

Labels: , , , , ,

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I tried this successfully on a Fujitsu/Siemens Scaleo L machine with a 4 GB Verbatim USB Stick. Although the docs said you have to format the drive with 16Bit FAT I let the pemover utility format it. It obviously formatted the stick to FAT32, as it is >2GB.

9:00 PM  
Blogger Waldo Louw said...

Worked for me too: Created the install files from my PC and then used the USF Flash to start my Asus eee.

Cool Stuff!

4:31 AM  
Blogger Bass said...

works well on Scandisk Cruzer 2.0GB micro

1:12 PM  
Blogger Juan Carlos said...

I am trying to install windows XP sp3 on a laptop that does not have a CD drive. I have followed these steps to boot XP from a usb flash drive, but I cannot install XP on my Hard drive. Any suggestions?
Thanks

12:49 PM  
Blogger Juan Carlos said...

I am trying to install windows XP sp3 on a laptop that does not have a CD drive. I have followed these steps to boot XP from a usb flash drive, but I cannot install XP on my Hard drive. Any suggestions?
Thanks

12:50 PM  
Blogger Demiurg said...

You will have to be more specific than "I cannot install XP". How exactly are you trying to install it and what happens when you do.

6:34 AM  
Anonymous USB Flash Drive said...

Though it's not new to boot Windows XP from usb flash drive, The instructions of this artilce are still useful for some new user.

8:29 PM  
Anonymous USB Flash Drive Review said...

I'm a new user, It's my first time to know the details of booting Windows XP from USB flash drive. Great article!

12:57 AM  
Blogger Ten98 said...

Pe2USB doesn't seem to work at all on Windows 7 :(

12:24 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home